Why Some Celebrities Deserve To Be Famous

Yesterday was definitely a day for learning. I’m usually as interested in the lives of celebrities as I am in cracks in the pavement, but a very few do stand out from the Red Carpet crowd and are worthy of my admiration.

I was in the waiting room at the dentists yesterday and picked up a magazine. On the cover there was something about Melanie Sykes and her autistic son.

I didn’t even know she has an autistic son.

Naturally, I flipped through the pages searching for that story. As a parent of a child with autism – and as an autistic parent – I wanted to read about how she handles things.

“Sometimes I want to say to people ‘He’s autistic. Chill out!’ But then I realise that I don’t need to explain my son or myself to anyone, and so I don’t”. (Approximated quote, not verbatim from the magazine).

I don’t know about anybody else out there, but I love this attitude! She’s right on the money with it. Why should any of us have to apologise for having autism, or having an autistic child? As the saying goes: “Those that mind don’t matter, and those that matter don’t mind”.

So this is me saying something along the lines of “Hello world. I have autism. You might as well get used to it because I wouldn’t change if I could. Deal with it or not; I am me and I can love and be loved just like you”.

I don’t apologise for being autistic. Neither am I going to apologise for my son any more. If one more person asks me to apologise for not being NT I’m going to point them at this video:

I have an entire other post coming on comparisons between the X-Men and autists. If autism makes me a mutant then I stand proud with all the other “mutants” out there. Dare to be different? Yes I do, because this is who I am. Change a thing about my son? Absolutely not! I’d change my health to be able to care for him (the epilepsy, that is) but I wouldn’t change a thing about my beloved little Gremlin!

This is Melanie Sykes. She’s beautiful, intelligent, and she loves a child with autism. She rocks my pink stripey socks!

As always, image courtesy of Google.

If there’s one thing I have learned in life it is this: Never be afraid to be yourself. The right people will still love you anyway, warts, autism and all.

About The Hairy Housewife

This entry was posted in "Mutants", 2012, Acceptance, Attitudes, Autism, Born This Way, Proud Parent Of An Autistic Child, Proud To Be Autistic, Proud To Be Me, X-Men. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Why Some Celebrities Deserve To Be Famous

1. willowdot21 says:

Bravo I am so with you on that!! My nephew is autistic and I am proud of him!!

• Missus Tribble says:

Autism actually runs in my family – most likely stemming from my father (he is quite obviously on the spectrum if you’re familiar with the signs) – and so my sister, niece, nephew and possibly my great-nephew are all on the spectrum too.

I still believe that about him :)

• willowdot21 says:

[I remember observing my baby boy – long before I even knew about autism – and he was lying on my bed and smiling at nothing. I remember thinking to myself “He’s not from this world; he’s magic”.I still believe that about him :) ]
        The about is one of the most beautiful paragraphs I have ever read! Keep loving Rose you are a diamond!

• Missus Tribble says:

Thanks hon. I’ve come to see autism as a gift rather than an affliction – some of the most famous brains of our recent history were autistic and the world would be so much poorer had they not been born.

Multi-faceted, multi-talented and beautiful is what us auties are :)

• Missus Tribble says:

I’ve always liked Mel anyway because she’s fun. I didn’t think she could get any higher in my estimation, but she has now! :)

2. Hi, Rosewine. This affects me too, as I also have a child with mild autism. I thought you might be interested in his blog. Here is the link: http://pjrosales.wordpress.com/
    I work in a school where many of our students have some form of learning disability, many Asperger’s syndrome and I’ve become accustomed to people being different in many peculiar ways. I don’t know the meaning of the word normal any more. Does such a thing exist? I think now normal is called ‘Neuro typical’, but even that has a big question mark over it as far as I am concerned.
    Nobody should apologise for the way they’ve been born. Enjoy being different is my motto.

• Missus Tribble says:

Thank you for the link. Wow, he can certainly write very well!

I hear this “NT” thing all the time, along with phrases such as “The Norm”. Well, whoever Norm is he sounds pretty dull to me and I’m glad I’m nothing like him!

My son is profoundly autistic, but I still wouldn’t change a thing about him. He has the biggest smile in the world, beautiful green/blue eyes and a completely infectious belly laugh. He is a truly beautiful young man :)

• There so much more to a person than the label they put on them! I’m so glad you can see past that. We are all like onions, made of many layers and there is a reward when you start peeling them and discovering all the goodness underneath the skin. Let’s have a toast for being different! :-)

• Missus Tribble says:

*raises glass*

To freedom to be ourselves! :D

• Wine drank! Cheers!

3. I’m so sorry. I’ve just realised I called you Rosewine, Missus Tribble. I’ve had a hard day. Just got home (I left at 8 am). Ooops! I had just read her post too and got confused. You see? Nobody is perfect! Please do forgive me.

4. Violets Diary says:

Love it as always. No apologies, people r who they r. Difference shld b celebrated x

5. Pingback: The Outrage Of An Autistic Parent | Wine And Roses From Outer Space