New Page

Today I had my first “job” as a Media Volunteer for Epilepsy Action – answering a quick questionnaire via email. Since the email came from the same person who contacted me about the documentary, I took the opportunity to ask about any available link to the film. I’m still awaiting an answer. The email I recieved was sent in bulk to all Media Volunteers; with the documentary I knew it was aimed directly at me because it had my name on.

So I decided it was time to add this person’s direct phoneline to my contacts, and create a page about Epilepsy Action and what I do for them in return for what the organisation does to support its many members. The page is here.

I was hoping that some of you could read it and see if any changes need to be made. Some of the volunteer work might come to me via somebody stumbling across my blog, so it’s really important that I get it right!

About The Hairy Housewife

This entry was posted in Epilepsy, Epilepsy Action, Epilepsy Awareness, Media, Self Promotion. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to New Page

1. argylesock says:

You’re a gem, Gem! Seriously you live up to your name and I’m proud to know you.

Since you ask for comments on your new page, what I found is that your words are moving and truth shines through. But I’m an academic and I know you personally. Some people won’t read all the way through.

I think that for a more general readership, you’d do well to put the contact details for Epilepsy Action right at the beginning. Maybe put them in a colourful box with a welcoming cartoon. Obviously without flashing images but something cute, preferably a logo that the organisation already uses.

I also think that you could put in some photographs, better still a podcast. Let people see you and hear your voice.

• Missus Tribble says:

Thanks! The logo at the top of the post will take you directly to their site. I do plan to add some photographs; I just haven’t decided which ones to use yet.

Thanks so much for the compliments and the feedback :)

• argylesock says:

I didn’t even notice the logo at the top of the post! May I suggest that it needs more of a pointer. What distracted me was the column of blog awards down the side.

• Missus Tribble says:

I’ve made some modifications now. I have an “Awards” page anyway, so I took them all off my sidebar and now only have the basics and the neccessary up (a bit of text concerning press enquiries, Twitter and Facebook details for contact purposes, and a link to the Epilepsy Action Website). I kept my blog stats and archives up because I like to see how often my blog is being visited and the archives provide a valuable search tool for anybody looking for a specific entry :)

• argylesock says:

I like it! You come across as warm and approachable.

Do you think your photos. esp the captions need to be larger and in bolder type? As you know I have mild visual impairment and some people have it worse.

• Missus Tribble says:

There may be a way to do that, but if there is I haven’t found it yet! Large photographs are too large, I find, and detract from the actual meat of the blog post. I don’t know if bolding in text works on the photographs, but will look into it :)

2. WordsFallFromMyEyes says:

EPILEPSY ACTION is an excellent name, and it follows that your headline ‘Epilepsy action & me’ says so much – & is a moving headline. I think it’s a great write up. You’re just wonderful, what you do.

3. Congratulations about getting married – and about the Epilepsy Action involvement. It seems to be working for people now, in that they’re sharing stories and supporting each other. Is it something that you want people to come across easily on your blog? Because if so, maybe you need to put a link on each post..or am I just talking drivel. A lot depends on what exactly you want to do with the page – that’s always the first question a marketer should ask (what’s the point?) – I say this as someone with absolutely no experience in marketing!

• Missus Tribble says:

I’ll be tweaking the page as time goes by. At the moment I just want people to know that I am a person with epilepsy who can still achieve things and who is respected as a voice for epilepsy by the charity – I’m not just a membership number to them (none of their members are). I’m still making a difference from my little perch on the sofa, and I’m willing to be interviewed by anybody who is studying the subject, who has recently been diagnosed or simply wants to know more :)